Monday, August 17, 2009

Restoration

When God restores one's life, He does a thorough job.  We live in a culture that is unaccustomed to expecting thoroughness in any given task.  We tragically anticipate people to be sloppy, lazy, "un-attentive" to detail, or incompetent - a sad commentary on our culture.  It is even more troublesome when this kind of "lukewarmness" becomes pervasive in the Church.  But God is different as He "brings to completion the good work He begins in you and I (Phil 1)."

This past weekend we studied together the theme of restoration in the Minor Prophet Amos.  God concludes his message to the Northern Kingdom with a message of hope and restoration.  One of our points of emphasis was the thoroughness of God's restoring work.  We identified three implications within this point:
1. Begins with acknowledging one's need for restoration
2. It is a process
3. Celebrate each stage
Let me focus on #1.

I am praying today for those of you who feel embarrassed about being at Step One.  Perhaps you have been in and around the "Church" for years; however, you know more than you do.  Church is simply one component of your social network as you have lost a vision of the daily, transforming work of Jesus in your life. 

The reviving work of the Spirit begins with acknowledging one's need for restoration.  There is so much spiritual pride and arrogance in the Church.  The enemy of our souls uses this to deceive us into apathy and complacency.  But one, transparent moment of significant outcry to God can bring those walls tumbling down.  Show me a person sincerely acknowledging the need for restoration, and I will show you a city on the verge of a new spiritual awakening.  It begins in each one of our hearts.

Safe space is incredibly important for this type of confession.  If you are hesitant due to the circle of people in your life, you need to get a new circle.  The litmus test for any relationship is the ability to admit failures without fear of rejection or mockery.  May God create in us at Commonwealth Chapel an environment of safety for confession so that God's restoring work may begin in all of us.

Rob     

3 comments:

  1. Acknowledging our need for restoration in a particular area of our lives is made even harder because, many times, we know it will involve work on our part. It's tragic sometimes to see someone (myself included) choose to not to be restored because doing so would involve effort. God can certainly accomplish His purpose in our lives and in the world on His own but has chosen to partner with us in both. My prayer is that we can regard the work of restoration, both in our lives and in our city, as being worthy of whatever effort God asks of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restoration takes and enormous trust in our God, but that is really what He is ultimately asking of us. I agree with Jason, it is tragic to see someone choose not to meet God in His efforts because of either lack of desire to put forth the work or lack of trust that the end result that God has planned will be so worth it in the end. Everything God has planned for us is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need restoration of my relationship with God, my soul, my relationship with my husband, my relationship with my daughters and with my relationship with myself. I know that I am weak and imperfect but I am seeking and I can't seem to find the restoration that I'm looking for. I feel spiritually and physically tired. This world is wearing me out.

    ReplyDelete