Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Beans

The road to Balan is quite dusty and bumpy but it is worth it.  Beans and rice were distributed to 2,000 people as they came swarming to our truck from their mud huts.  With empty pots and pans in hand, they formed a line and waited for their allotted portion of beans with some rice full of nutrients.  

Interestingly, many of the orphans came with us.  I was touched watching them have compassion on these people, considering them worse off than themselves.  They distributed beans with us as though they had plenty themselves.  Poor helping  the poor.  The irony of that moment hit me in a peculiar way.

Could I survive their lifestyle?  Maybe.  But deep down I feel guilty that I will soon be boarding a nice plane for home and comfort.  They will be out of sight.  My prayer tonight is that God will keep the hurting of this world (both in Richmond and beyond) close to my heart.

They are close to His.

Rob


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing these updates about Haiti. They are a powerful reminder especially during this Advent season. I thought I'd add a link to the video from last year.

    http://newhopehaitimission.org/haitivid.swf

    Watching it again helps me to picture what you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Hope you had a merry Christmas. Will be in touch this next week about getting together!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete