Monday, December 7, 2009

Love, Community, and Generosity

I have been pondering these three components of the Christian faith over the last 24 hours.
How is God challenging me through this talk?  What areas of change need to unfold in my life?

Today I am going to focus on love.  Of the three, this is the starting point for me.  If love is lacking in my life, all the other areas suffer.  Love is the motivator behind my Christian witness.

I know that love is not always a "felt" reality.  Jesus himself pleaded in the garden prior to his death, the ultimate expression of love, to have "this cup removed."  He, understandably so, did not "feel" like loving with such extreme suffrage.

My hope and prayer is that action will give birth to feelings.  Sometimes I think we wait around for a "spiritual" feeling to come over us before we act.  Too often the feeling never arrives.

In our "fallen nature" desires and feelings can deceive us.  Action is a way to express obedience and overcome the deception of sinful reality.  John says, "This is love:  that He laid down his life for us."

I want to love this way.  You?

No comments:

Post a Comment