Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fish Wars

Oh, a fish is on the back of that car in front of me.  How special.  Must be a Christian.
Oh wait, that fish says "darwin" inside of it.  How rude.
What?  That big fish with "darwin" inside of it is eating the small Christian fish.  I'm mad.
Yeah!  The big fish with "truth" inside of it is now eating the small fish that has "darwin" inside.  Hip Hip Hooray!

I am so over fish wars on the back of cars.  Here is why:

1.  Quit supporting the economic machinery that simply wants your money.  They prey on the good hearts of people, convincing them to "take a stand," and laugh all the way to the bank.

2.  The "truth" crisis in our culture will not be resolved on the bumpers of our cars.  If anything, it only perpetuates the crisis and ensures there will never be a winner.

3.  Words and acts of obedience are the solution not a plastic symbol.

4.  Spend your money on study rather than the commercialization of religion.

5.  Maybe the reason North American "Believers" refuse to come to a weekly time of prayer together is because they are at home feeling good about the fish that is on their car?  Maybe that fish will penetrate darkness for us?

6.  Combat the truth crisis with intelligence not emotion; Spirit not flesh; conversation not angry words; conviction not memorized formulaic lines; and/or relationship not target practice.

7.  When was the last time you heard the following testimony:  "I was saw a "truth" fish eating a "darwin" fish and I stopped my car, got out, fell to my knees, and cried out to God for mercy."  

8.  One of the deceptions of the adversary of our souls is to convince us to embrace with resources and time that which makes no difference in the Kingdom and to avoid that which does.

Let's think, Church.

Rob


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rob, we really don't always think, do we? Christians embarrass themselves with bumper stickers. It's guaranteed to ridicule my faith and ruffle feathers, latest by the time I lose my patience or drive like a moron. And I do both. (My favorite bumper sticker was "Get out of the gene pool!") Glad to hear you're recovering from your nose dive!

    ReplyDelete