Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fast and Ashes

The Lenten season is upon us. Last night's Ash Wednesday worship gathering was particularly meaningful for me. Dr. Ken Priddy began our series on the Parables of Luke with a message about the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. This morning I still have ringing in my heart the following line from his message: "Mardi Gras is for the Pharisee. Ash Wednesday is for sinner."

As I sat there last night in worship feeling hungry from 3 days of Daniel fast, challenged to allow the Holy Spirit to realign any areas of my heart that have gone adrift, a little tired, and most of all moved to tears, I sensed a freedom and weightlessness come over me. As I repeated those words to myself, "Father, I am a sinner. Have mercy on me, " I enjoyed the resulting awareness in my heart that total dependence on God is the most "freeing" posture in which one can be.

May these 40 days draw us closer to our Holy God, be a "tipping point" in our Call to mission at ComChap, and cause us to be people of prayer not people who pray.

I look forward to hearing how God is showing up in your life!

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment