Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Rules Christianity

I just heard this phrase a week ago. Unfortunately I loved it. Apparently "snow rules" is the you-don't-really-have-to-obey-the-rules reality that occurs when there is a lot of snow on the ground. It is great: traffic light taking too long to turn green? - run it! - snow rules!; arriving on time at work? not necessary! - snow rules!; garbage needs to go out? - just let it sit there! - snow rules! and on and on the examples could flow.

I have sensed a connection between this fun and light-hearted approach to snow and the very serious reality of "lukewarm Christianity." I have found myself disgusted internally when I consider the ways in which I am tempted to simply "change the rules" on God when I feel like it. It is as if ever-changing circumstances justify a suspension of God's authority in my life.

How ironic that I am quick to admire and respect those "heroes" of the faith who maintain consistent devotion to Christ in the midst of any and everything. And yet, one day where things don't go my way and I'm ready to "lose my religion."

"Oh God, my prayer today is that the resolve of Daniel would reside within me. Even as circumstances may change, may my devotion to Christ be steadfast. I can't do this in my own strength. My humanity seems to be a constant barrier as is it seeks to lure me into self-pity, destructive thinking, fickle behavior, and other related weaknesses. May my life be planted on the rock of your Word and promises. I mean this with all my heart."

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment